Cold Weather Proofing the Beauty Routine

Wednesday 6 November 2013


I chop and change the products that I use in my beauty routine all year round, but I take matters more seriously when it starts to get cold.  My skin, like my general self, does not like cold weather and would much prefer it if it was moved to a pleasantly mild and sunny destination right about now.  Sadly, that's not on the cards for the immediate future, so it's time to suck it up and get down to the business of protecting it from the evil, dehydrating, coldness that's rapidly approaching.



The New Moisturiser
I've been absolutely loving everything from REN recently, and their Vita Mineral Daily Supplement Moisturising Cream* has become a new daily essential for me.  Packed full of antioxidants, vitamins and plant extracts, this is a lovely hydrating treat to protect your skin from the elements.  It's light, nourishing and suitable for all skin types - my combination skin has simply been lapping it up.

The Balm Cleanser 
If you've been curious to try out a balm cleanser, then now is the best time to bite the bullet and pick one up.  Whilst my gentle cleansing milks and lotions are still working well in the mornings, I feel that my skin needs something a bit more rich in the evenings.  I've been using Live Native Pure Native Cleansing Balm* which is a brilliantly thick and luxurious cold pressed, natural balm cleanser that has 90% organic ingredients and contains coconut oil, calendula and rosehip oil to name a few.  To use, I simply scoop out a small amount (you need less than you think), gently massage it onto my dry face and rinse with warm water and a muslin cloth or flannel.  It removes every scrap of make-up including waterproof mascara without any irritation and leaves my skin feeling clean and baby soft.

The New Eye Product
The delicate eye area is quite vulnerable to cold weather and prone to drying out so a good quality eye product is a must.  Have you ever tried to apply concealer over a dry under eye area? It's not pretty.  So I was looking for a new eye treatment that had hyaluronic acid in it, and found just the thing in the form of Healgel Eye*.  This eye gel is super light, easily absorbed and has a subtle cooling effect which helps to reduce puffiness, as well as locking all that important moisture in.  Perfect for using first thing in the morning as well as at night.


The Body Butter
I have very dry skin that's prone to eczema flareups, so I always make sure that I take extra care of it when the weather starts to get cold.  A rich and moisturising formula is just what I need, so I've been reaching for Conscious Skincare Grapefruit, Lemon and Cedarwood Body Butter*.  This body butter has the most incredible lightly whipped/mousse texture that sinks into the skin quickly and ensures it's thoroughly hydrated.  The 100% natural formula features organic fair trade shea butter, organic virgin coconut oil, organic sweet almond oil and organic cocoa butter, and has a lovely coconut meets subtle citrus scent.  It comes packaged in a slim, recycled aluminum tin making it easy to put into your travel / weekend bag.   

The Lip Products
I despise dry lips with a passion, so lip products are my firm friends.  Recently, I've been in love with Crazy Rumors Amaretto Lip Balm which I mentioned in my October Favourites, and The Body Shop Shea Lip Butter has current pride of place on my bedside table.

The Multi-Purpose Wonders 
For extra insurance against cold weather, I always recommend popping a multi-purpose wonder in your handbag which you can use on everything.  If you prefer balms, then Pure by Phytocare Paw Paw Ointment is a great choice as it's thick but comes in a squeezy tube for easy application.  However, if cream formulas are more to your liking, then I'd highly recommend getting a travel size of the cult Weleda Skin Food which is an incredibly rich, hydrating formula that gets to work on severely dry skin in no time at all. 

What products do you reach for when the weather turns cold?

Next Post Next Previous Post Previous

37 comments

  1. you picked some lovely products, I'm like you hate the cold weather, as soon as the heating goes on I am combating flaky skin, I have several jars of body butters, it's my staple at this time of year :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate the cold weather, I'm currently sitting at work shivering haha! The balm sounds gorgeous and looks like Neal's Yard wild rose beauty balm which is my favourite product ever! I'm suffering with eczema at the minute so I'm definitely going to be stocking up on body balms and butter to stop my skin from drying out! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's freezing! It's a gorgeous balm, one of my favs :) x

      Delete
  3. I hate what the cold weather does to my skin, I'm on the lookout for a balm cleanser and a new body moisturiser! You've chosen some lovely products :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Balm cleansers are a must for those nasty cold days! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Skin food is fab and that balm cleanser sounds lovely :)
    My skin is not a fan of the cold either! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the packaging of the HealGel Eye, so cute :)
    Hayley
    Water Painted Dreams xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. my skin is feeling the effects of the cold weather too and I'm really loving my facial oil to add moisture in.

    katespitz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this post! I'm getting more into skincare lately and something like this definitely helps get my mind working on products I want to try next!

    Kayla from www.microscopebeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kayla, so happy to hear it's been helpful!

      Delete
  9. I've found the Weleda Skin Food has been great for my skin as it's getting colder
    Daniella x

    http://daniella-r.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing stuff isn't it? I've nearly finished a full size tube of it x

      Delete
  10. The color of your balm cleanser is very interesting. I hope one day I can try these.. my face is just super oily...

    x

    Hola Flo | Beauty and Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The yellow is from the calendula in it :) I'd definitely try a balm cleanser as I find they help to normalize the skin a lot better than other products do. Mine was very oily 2 years ago, but since using different products it's gone to more normal/combination now which is great x

      Delete
  11. I have the Conscious Skincare butter in Sweet Orange & Frangipani and it's sooooo good! It's the best body cream I've ever used by far xx

    Gemma | Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet that one smells good! The formula of them is incredible xx

      Delete
  12. I love Ren moisturizers, but feel they are too light for me in the winter. Also, don't forget to protect your skin from the sun's harmful rays, even in the winter. I use an all natural sunscreen over my day cream and it looks great under my makeup. I get an extra glow and sun protection too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use JASON's SPF 15 under my moisturisers, they absorb really well :)

      Delete
  13. Everything here looks amazing, want to try pretty much all of it! I've also been loving the Conscious body butter - perfect for cold weather :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. That body butter looks heavenly. I love when products have that whipped consistency, it looks good enough to eat!! Great selection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does! The whipped texture is so lovely to use, really light :)

      Delete
  15. they sound good but have to admit I dont know the brands except body shop and the weleda one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few of them are independent UK companies such as Conscious Skincare who are handmade in Wales and Live Native who are handmade on Skye in Scotland. Crazy Rumors is from the US, Pure by Phytocare is Australian and the others are British :)

      Delete
    2. Love the handmade idea, I would love to have ,try something form the UK.

      Delete
  16. Such lovely products - they sound like they make for one indulgent pampering sesh! :) I've been curious to try more REN products - I bought their Glycolactic Radiance Renewal Mask when I was on holiday in London but I keep hearing good reviews about pretty much everything else in their range :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a fantastic brand! I really like the Glycolactic Mask and love the Vita Mineral range too :)

      Delete
  17. Live Native Pure Native Cleansing Balm sounds right up my street, these are my favourite type of cleansers. I love Weleda Skin Food too and currently using it, it does wonders with this cold weather. x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely! especially the water-free ones (no need for preservatives or emulsifiers). Is it rude to plug our beauty balm? Perfect for winter. 100% natural, cold pressed ingredients. Thanks! Vicky Lyons, Lyonsleaf
    http://lyonsleaf.co.uk/natural-beauty-balm

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! For a faster reply you can tweet me @beautywolfgirl

Powered by Blogger.